When a man you’ve been seeing says he needs space, what do you do? If you’re like most women, you wait for him to come back. Do this instead.
When a man says he needs space, what does it mean? If this has ever happened to you, it’s a confusing and anxiety-inducing thing to hear. It could mean so many things, and you won’t know unless you ask for clarity. Is he saying ‘space’ as code words for ending the relationship? Is space something he needs because his life is too complicated and he can’t manage having a relationship right now? You won’t know if it’s an issue with him, you, or the relationship unless you take the following six steps to understand on a deeper level.
What to Do When Your Partner Says He Needs Space
- Believe him. If he says he needs space, he needs space.
- Ask for clarity. What does he mean by “space?” Does space mean a week, a month, or he’s really breaking up and doesn’t want to be unkind.
- Does space work for you? Does leaving the door open and having hope feel right to you? Tell him how you feel and what you want and need.
- Respect his decision. Pushing him to change his mind won’t be effective, and will make both of you feel worse. Be respectful while taking care of your own needs.
- Focus on your self-care. Whether it’s a short break or a permanent break, it’s important to practice self-care. What does that look like to you?
- Figure out a plan if he comes back. If his break is over and he returns, what do you need for it to work out and take him back? There are probably specific changes that need to take place. Make sure you set up a plan that includes accountability for making those changes. Otherwise, the need for space will come up again, and it will probably mean the end of the relationship.
You don’t have to feel devastated the next time a man says he wants space. Using these six steps, you will be able to take your power back, which is so much better than crying and waiting for a man who may never return. You’re always at choice. What do you choose to do?
Watch the video for a more in depth overview of what to do next time a man asks for space.
If you’re feeling stuck in dating and relationships and would like to learn what’s getting in the way of your last first date, sign up for a complimentary 1/2 hour breakthrough session with Sandy https://lastfirstdate.com/breakthrough
Join Your Last First Date on Facebook https://facebook.com/groups/yourlastfirstdate
Get a copy of Sandy’s book, Becoming a Woman of Value; How to Thrive in Life and Love.